Finishing High School

Learn about other ways to graduate

High school students answering questions in classroom

People take many paths through school and life. If your path has taken you away from a traditional high school diploma, you can still get access to a wide range of jobs or apply to many colleges. With a high school equivalency (HSE) diploma, you’ll show that you’ve achieved a high school-level education and better prepare yourself for the future. Learn more about your HSE options.

NYC's Official HSE Test

If you’re a New Yorker over 16 and don’t have a high school diploma, you can earn your high school equivalency (HSE) with the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC). To earn your HSE diploma, you’ll need to pass five subjects on the TASC exam:

  • Reading
  • Writing
  • Social Studies
  • Science
  • Math

Taking the TASC is free if you live in New York State. Many free prep classes and materials are available to help you get ready.

Take the TASC

The TASC exam is offered at many testing locations throughout the year. To take the test, first you need to fill out an application.

Learn more about HSE and TASC


New York no longer recognizes the GED (General Equivalency Diploma) as the official high school equivalency test. But if you passed any GED subjects from 2002 to 2013, New York will count those subjects toward your HSE diploma.

Diploma Program

If you’re 18 or older, another way to earn an official HSE diploma in NYC is through the National External Diploma Program (NEPD). Focusing on life skills as well as reading, writing, and math, the program tests you through online tasks that you can finish at your own pace. As an NEPD participant, you’ll regularly meet with an advisor.

Get your HSE diploma through NEPD

Start your NEPD by registering through an individual NEPD agency. Once your NEPD is approved, you’ll need to fill out an HSE application to receive your HSE diploma.

Find an NEPD near you

HSE Prep

Learning the skills you need for your HSE can be challenging, but you don’t have to do it alone. NYC offers many free and low-cost programs to help you prepare for the TASC exam—the official test that earns you an HSE diploma.

Pathways to Graduation (P2G)
P2G is a free, full-time program that helps students ages 17 – 21 prepare for the TASC. There are 65 P2G locations around the city. In addition to test prep, the program offers paid internships, college and career guidance, and other assistance.
Learn more about P2G

Advance & Earn (formerly Young Adult Literacy Program)
Advance & Earn is a free program for youth ages 16 – 24 who are not working, not in school, and who struggle with reading, writing, and math. As a participant, you’ll get basic instruction and support on improving your skills so you can enroll in HSE test prep classes. Advance & Earn is held at community-based organizations and public libraries in NYC.
Learn more about Advance & Earn

Transfer Schools

Transfer schools are another way you can complete high school requirements. They offer small, full-time learning settings if you’ve dropped out or are behind in credits. At a transfer school, you’ll benefit from:

  • tutoring, Regents prep, and extracurricular activities
  • college and career plans for life after high school
  • participation in the Learning to Work program, offering additional support and paid internships

Learn more about transfer schools

Young Adult Borough Centers (YABC)
If you’re 17-1/2 to 21 years old and interested in finishing your high school diploma, you can take classes at a Young Adult Borough Center. YABCs offer evening classes for completing high school graduation requirements. To be eligible, you must have attended four years of high school and have at least 17 credits.

After successfully completing YABC classes, you’ll graduate with a diploma from your home school. Review the YABC page for eligibility requirements and details on enrollment.

Explore all of your options

There are lots of options for earning your high school diploma. If you need help figuring out which one is right for you, visit a Referral Center for High School Alternatives and speak with a counselor.

Visit a center