ID Cards

Gain access to jobs, services, travel, and more

Having an ID card is an important part of being an adult. Without proper identification, you won’t be able to open a bank account on your own, get a library card, travel on a plane, or get hired for certain jobs. Check out the different ID options that are available to you.


The IDNYC is a free government-issued photo ID card for New Yorkers 10 and older. IDNYC gets you access to City services, including memberships to some of the City’s top museums, zoos, botanical gardens, and other destinations. Learn more about what else IDNYC can do for you!

Apply for IDNYC

Learn more about getting an IDNYC

State IDs, Permits & Licenses

If you live in New York, you can get different types of official ID cards through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You can get a non-driver ID card at any age—or apply for a learner permit when you turn 16.

  • Non-Driver ID Card
    You can get a state-issued non-driver ID without taking a driver’s test. You can get this type of ID card at any age, but if you’re under 16 you’ll need the permission of a parent or legal guardian. There’s a $9 – $13 fee. To apply, visit a DMV office near you.
  • Learner Permit
    To get a driver’s license, first you need a learner permit. You have to be 16 or older and apply in person at a DMV office. There’s also a $80 – $120 fee, depending on how old you are.
  • Driver’s License
    Once you have a learner permit, you’ll have to take a class, practice driving under supervision for a certain number of hours, and pass a road test. Visit the DMV website for more information.

Get ready for your learner permit

Are you ready? You must first pass the learner permit written test.

  • To pass the test, you must correctly answer 14 of the 20 multiple-choice questions
  • This includes the correct answers to at least two of the four questions about road signs
  • If you don’t pass the first time, there is no additional fee to retake it, and there is no limit to how many times you can take it.

The DMV has an online Driver’s Manual and an interactive quiz so you can practice. Be sure to take advantage of it!

Study for the written test

US Passport

If you’re a US citizen and want to travel outside the country, you’ll need a US government-issued passport. Passport fees are $40 – $140, depending on your age and whether you’re applying for a passport book or a passport card.

To get started, fill in your passport application online or in-person at most US Post Offices.

Apply for a US passport

  • Fill out the form
    The first step is finding the right application form, which depends on how old you are and whether you’re renewing or applying for the first time. Find information about forms on the passport website, then print them or fill them out online.
  • Collect your documents
    The personal documents you’ll need depends on which form you fill out. No matter what, you’ll have to show that you’re eligible for a passport.
  • Take a photo
    Your application should include a 2″ x 2″ photo of you. The website has more info on photo requirements, and a quick search online will show you places in NYC where you can get a passport photo taken.
  • Submit your application
    How you submit your application depends on which form you fill out. Check the website to see if you should mail it, go to a passport acceptance facility, or visit a passport agency.
Learn more about applying for a US passport