Department of Education, Office of Sustainability YLC members lead a workshop at the 2019 NYC Youth Climate Summit they helped organize
Interested in making a difference in your community? NYC Youth Leadership Councils (YLCs), powered by NYC Service, offer a chance to share ideas, create solutions, and put them into action. Team up with teens from your neighborhood or school, meet new people who share your interests, and get support from adults to make your voice heard. Learn how to apply.
Why others have joined YLCs:
- To take the lead on making change in their community
- To gain professional skills and confidence
- To meet other youth and adults who care about the same issues
- And so much more!
What YLCs Are About
No matter what you’re passionate about, you can find a YLC hosted by a City agency, school, or community organization that will help you turn your ideas into action. These are a few of the many issues you can work on as a YLC member:
- Community improvements
- Mental health
- Community relations
- Youth employment
- Climate and sustainability
- Justice and equity
- Substance abuse prevention
For a full list of active YLCs and the issues they’re working on, visit the YLC Application.
YLC members come from different backgrounds and have different reasons for getting involved. But whatever brings them to their YLC, they all have the chance to take the lead on something they care about.
How to Apply
Applying is easy! You can discover which YLC(s) to join, fill out your application information, and attach additional files using one simple online form. Note:
- You’re eligible if you’re between ages 14 and 21 and currently enrolled in high school or an equivalency program
- Read the description of YLCs by selecting them from the YLC dropdown
- You can apply for up to three YLCs
- If you want to save and finish the application later, follow the instructions at the “Save and Resume Later” link at the bottom of the form
Learn how to apply to a NYC Youth Leadership council in 5 steps!
If you have any questions or need to get in touch, email NYC Service at NYCYLC@cityhall.nyc.gov.
About NYC Service
NYC Youth Leadership Councils are powered by the Volunteer Strategy team at NYC Service. NYC Service is a division of the Mayor’s Office focused on expanding civic engagement through volunteerism and national service. Learn more at nyc.gov/service.