NYC Financial Empowerment Centers provide free, one-on-one professional financial counseling and coaching to help you reach your goals.
- Your financial counselor will work with you to:
- Manage your money
- Check your credit
- Set up a spending plan
- Open a safe and affordable bank account
- Contact your lenders about debt, including student loans
- Develop a strategy to reduce your debt or lower payments
- Access emergency government resources
- In your first session, you will develop a list of action steps to help you reach your financial goals.
- Your counselor will ask you about your financial history and ask to see any financial documents.
- You may attend as many follow-up sessions as you want with your counselor.
- You can meet with a counselor in person or over the phone.
- You can choose your preferred language for services.
- Services are secure and confidential. You must be at least 18 years old and live or work in NYC. Income and immigration status do not matter.
- Financial Empowerment Centers do not provide loans or grants.
Who is eligible
You are eligible for free financial counseling if you:
- Live or work in NYC; and
- Are at least 18 years old
Income and immigration status do not matter.
What you need to apply
Your financial counselor can better support you if they have more information about your finances. If you don’t have your documents with you, that’s ok too!
Financial documents you can show your counselor include:
- Bills or statements
- Copies of your credit report
- Collection notices
- Copies of your tax returns
- Court papers
- Student loan bills or loan information, which can be found on studentaid.gov
How to apply
Book an appointment online for an in-person or phone financial counseling session.
You can also set up a Portal account to:
- manage your appointments
- securely share information and documents with your financial counselor
- review and update your personal financial Action Plan
Select a program that fits your needs and choose a location to make an appointment.
You can choose your preferred language for services.
Call 311 and say “financial counseling”.
How to get help
Financial Empowerment Centers will take walk-ins when possible. It is best to book an appointment in advance on the website or by calling 311.
Call the Financial Empowerment Center hotline
Say “financial counseling”
Learn more online
Go to the DCWP webpage about Financial Empowerment Centers or read the FAQ.