STAR provides property tax relief to New York State’s homeowners. It lowers the tax burden on New York residents who live in school districts.
Am I eligible?
There are two types of STAR credits: Basic STAR and Enhanced STAR. To be eligible for both, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:
- Is the property the primary home of at least one of the owners?
- Do you live in one of the following types of housing?
- a house
- a condo
- a cooperative apartment
- a manufactured home
- a farm house
- a mixed-use property, including apartment buildings (only the owner-occupied portion is eligible)
For Basic STAR, you should also be able to answer yes to this additional question:
- Is the combined income of all owners who live in the home and their spouses $500,000 a year or less?
For Enhanced STAR, you should also be able to answer yes to these additional questions:
- Will you, or one of your siblings or spouse who live in the home, be 65 or older by December 31st?
- Is the combined income of all owners who live in the home and their spouses $86,000 a year or less?