For incoming students who haven’t passed all their CUNY Assessment Tests and need to meet CUNY’s proficiency standards, CUNY Start offers affordable help in reading, writing, and math.
- Costs $75, including materials
- Students can choose between full-time and part-time schedules
- A second program option, Math Start, helps students develop math skills in just 8 weeks
- Foster youth can get additional services through the Foster Care Initiative
Am I eligible?
You might be eligible for CUNY Start if you can answer yes to these questions:
- Have you earned a high school or high school equivalency diploma?
- Have you been admitted to CUNY?
- Have you received results on the CUNY Assessment Test showing you need more help in reading, writing, or math?
- Are you a first-time freshman or an enrolled student with limited credits?
Specific colleges may have other eligibility criteria. Contact the CUNY Start program at your campus for more information.
I'm ready to apply
To enroll in CUNY Start:
- Complete all CUNY admissions requirements and apply to a CUNY Start campus
- Take the CUNY Assessment Test and check your scores to see if you need extra help
- Go to an information session at one of the CUNY Start campuses
- Complete the online program application
- Interview with a CUNY Start staff member
- Submit a copy of your high school or high school equivalency diploma and complete any other requirements for your college
- Pay your $75 student fee
How can I get help?
Contact CUNY Start at your campus today
Borough of Manhattan Community College
Bronx Community College
(t) 718-289-5100 ext. 3141
College of Staten Island
Hostos Community College
Kingsborough Community College
LaGuardia Community College
Medgar Evers College
Queensborough Community College
Get more information on the CUNY Start website.