Gifted & Talented (G&T) programs are one way that NYC supports the needs of exceptional students. To participate in G&T Admissions, sign your child up to take the G&T Test. Students who get a high enough score on this test will have the chance to apply for G&T programs.
- Students with disabilities, in temporary housing, and English Language Learners (ELL) are encouraged to take the test and will be supported in G&T programs
- Open to students in public school, charter school, private school, and parochial school students
- District programs take students in local elementary schools, Citywide programs take students from across NYC
- Students have a higher chance of getting an offer to District G&T programs
- Sign up for the test online or in person
Am I Eligible?
To have your child take the G&T admissions test, you must be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Are you a NYC resident?
- Will your child be at least 5 years old by the end of 2018?
- Is your child currently in Pre-K, kindergarten, first grade, or second grade?
To apply for a G&T program you must be able to answer yes to these questions:
- Did your child take G&T admissions test and score 90 or above?
- If they did not they are still guaranteed a seat in an NYC public school
- If you wold like to apply for a district program, did your child score 90 or above?
- If you would like to apply for a Citywide program, did your child score 97 or above?
What Will I Need to Apply?
You must bring your child’s birth certificate or passport to the G&T test appointment to verify their date of birth.
I'm Ready To Apply
- To sign up to take the test, submit a Request for Testing (RFT) form, available online, at your child’s public school, and Family Welcome Centers each year in mid-October.
- Use the practice test in the back of the NYC Gifted & Talented Handbook to prepare for the test—learn the types of questions your child may see on the test and help prepare them for the test-taking experience.
- Testing takes place each January.