NYC youth who are 14-24 years old can get paid job experience and career exploration opportunities every summer.
- Apply by April 22, 2022.
- You can apply online or get help applying from a community-based organization.
- Selection is based on a lottery.
- SYEP offers:
- Work readiness training
- Project-based learning
- Financial literacy training
- Paid summer jobs
- Work is available for youth with disabilities.
- Youth can apply early each year through the Career Ready and Special Initiatives tracks if they:
- live in certain NYCHA developments
- are homeless or have run away
- were justice-involved
- are in foster care
- have experienced gender-based violence
- have an ACS case
Who is eligible
You may be eligible if you can answer yes to these questions.
- Do you live in New York City?
- Are you 14-24 years old?
What you need to apply
You will need to provide these unexpired documents:
- Social Security Card
- Proof of identity like a photo ID
- Proof of age like a birth certificate
- Proof of address like a utility bill or lease from your landlord
- Proof of employment authorization like a report card from the last six months, school transcript, or a NYS Driver’s or Nondriver’s License.
You may also need:
- Proof of working papers if you are ages 16-17.
- You can working papers from your school.
- Proof of your disability status if you have a disability.
- Proof of Selective Service registration if you are a male age 18 or older.
Check the full list of documents you’ll need as a 14-15 year old or 16-24 year old.
How to apply
Apply to SYEP by April 22, 2022.
Apply by phone
Call an SYEP provider for application assistance. See the list of providers for 14-15 year-olds or 16-21 year-olds.
How to get help
Visit the SYEP website
Learn more about SYEP from the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD).
Read the SYEP frequently asked questions (FAQs) documents for more help.
Call DYCD Community Connect
Call 800-246-4646 for more information.
Ask for Summer Youth Employment Program assistance.