Healthy food for families

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) | NYS Department of Health (NYS DOH)

Food Baby Toddler Pre-Schooler Caregiver

WIC provides free healthy food and services to low-income women and their children, including nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support, health education, and referrals to other programs and services.

  • WIC staff will talk to you and determine which food packages are right for you and your children.
    • The New York State WIC Acceptable Foods Guide lists the food you can buy using WIC.
    • NYS WIC participants can buy food using an Electronic Benefits Transfer card called eWIC. It's like a debit card and makes food shopping easier for WIC families.
    • Food must be bought at stores that accept WIC.
    • If you choose not to breastfeed, your infant will be provided one of the formulas on the New York State WIC Approved Formulas list.
  • You do not need to be a US citizen to receive WIC.

Who is eligible

You or your child may be eligible if you can answer yes to these questions:

  1. Are you one of these?
    • pregnant
    • a mother of a baby up to six months
    • a breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old
    • a parent or caregiver of a child up to age five
  2. Do you live in New York State?

If you already receive SNAP, Medicaid, or TANF benefits, you may be eligible for WIC.

What you need to apply

To apply for WIC, you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of identity for each person applying.
  • Proof of where you live. Must show your actual street address, not a PO box.
  • Proof of income for each household member who works; documents must be for the last 30 days or proof of your participation in Medicaid, SNAP, or TANF.
  • Immunization records for infants and children.
  • Confirmation of pregnancy.
  • Any WIC Medical forms completed by your health care provider

How to apply

  1. Find your local WIC agency, or call the Growing Up Healthy Hotline at 800-522-5006 and ask for the location nearest to you.
  2. Call the WIC agency where you wish to receive services and make an appointment.
  3. Refer to this document of records to bring to your appointment
    • The WIC agency will tell you if you need to bring this WIC Medical Referral Form completed by your health care provider.
    • If your child has special dietary needs, your health care provider may provide a completed Medical Documentation Form for you to bring.
  4. A qualified WIC staff member will complete a short assessment during your appointment for all family members applying for WIC. This screening includes a finger stick blood test, height and weight, and a discussion of your health and nutrition concerns.
  5. Each person applying for WIC must be present at the local agency at the time of certification.

How to get help

Visit the website

Visit the WIC website to learn more.

Call 311

Ask for Women, Infants, and Children assistance.

Other Food Programs

Food and Nutrition Info

NYC Department of Health

Tips for planning healthy meals

See nutrition tips and strategies for planning healthy meals on a budget.

Community Food Connection (CFC)

NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA)

Food from pantries and community kitchens

Free food from food pantries and community kitchens.

Summer Meals

NYC Department of Education

Free summer meals for children and young adults

Get free breakfast or lunch at schools, community pool centers, parks, and food trucks near you during the summer.

Updated March 15, 2022