Tax relief for parents

Child Tax Credit (CTC) | NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

Cash & Expenses Everyone

Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, some programs are limiting services or offering them over the phone. For the most up-to-date information, please contact programs directly using the information below. To learn more about support for COVID-19 impacts, visit our Coronavirus Updates page

CTC allows people with qualifying children to lessen their federal income tax by up to $2,000. You can claim both CTC and the credit for Child and Dependent Care expenses.

  • File your taxes by April 15, 2020
  • To qualify, a child or dependent must be a US citizen or resident and have a Social Security number. They also must have lived with you for over half the year.
  • You can claim your child, stepchild, adopted child, foster child, grandchild, or great-grandchild
  • If you have siblings, step-siblings, or half-siblings that live with you, you can also claim them
  • If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
  • Refunds for filers who claim CTC will not be distributed until February 15


To be eligible for Child Tax Credit you should be able to answer yes to these questions:

  • Do you have a child or dependent who is under 17 years old?
  • Is your dependent a US citizen, a US national, or a permanent resident?
  • Has your dependent lived with you for over half of the year?
  • Is your dependent claimed on your tax return?

What will I need to apply?

To claim the credits, you will need to gather the following documents for all person listed on your tax return:

  • Identity and age: such as a photo ID, driver’s license, IDNYC, passport, naturalization certificate.
  • Your income (if any): forms W-2, 1099s, or income and expense records if you are self-employed.
  • All records of expenses, including if you own or run a business or farm.
  • Social Security cards or Social Security number verification letter.
  • Copies of last year’s federal and state returns (if you have them)
  • Dependent care information: provider’s name, address, and ID number (EIN or SSN).
  • Proof of Health Insurance coverage for all family members. Forms 1095-A, B or C.



Other Cash & Expenses Programs

Free tax prep for New Yorkers

NYC Free Tax Prep

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs

If you earn $64,000 or less, use NYC Free Tax Prep to file for free and keep your whole refund.

Tax refund for workers and families

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

Tax credit or refund for low- to moderate-income working people and couples, especially those with children, worth up to $8,852.

Tax relief for dependent care

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

Tax relief for working people with dependent care expenses.

Updated March 31, 2020