Cash help when you are in need

Cash Assistance | NYC Human Resources Administration

Cash & Expenses Everyone

Your family can get cash if you are in need. The funds come on a debit card that you can use at any ATM or store where EBT cards are accepted.

  • Requires proof of identity, where you live, income, and citizenship status
  • You must be a US citizen or have satisfactory immigration status to receive Cash Assistance; a worker will help you learn your status when you apply
  • If you are able to work, you will either need to be working, in an education or training program, or participate in a program assigned to you in order to get Cash Assistance
  • You can get money for emergencies, including: eviction, energy and utility bills, natural disasters, and your safety or health
  • Apply in person, or have an interview at home if you are homebound

Am I eligible?

This program looks at several things to decide if you are eligible. Some of them include:

  • how much money you earn
  • how much money you receive from benefits
  • how many people live in your house
  • resources like cash or a checking account
  • your citizenship or immigration status

What will I need to apply?

To apply for Cash Assistance you will need to prove the following:

  • Your identity: such as a photo ID, driver’s license, passport, naturalization certificate, or hospital records.
  • Where you live: such as a statement from your landlord, current rent receipt, lease, or mortgage records.
  • Your income (if any): such as a current pay stub, business records, current income tax return, or an Unemployment Insurance Benefit statement.
  • Citizenship or immigration status: such as your birth certificate, U.S. passport, or military service records.

Check the Cash Assistance document guide to see what else you can use as proof.

I'm ready to apply

  • To apply for Cash Assistance, visit a Job Center near you.
    • Download an application form, complete and take it or mail it to a Job Center.
  • If you’re already receiving Cash Assistance, you can complete an online recertification application.
  • If you have a medical or mental health condition that prevents you from applying in person, you can call 212-331-4640 to make arrangements to have a worker do the interview at your home.
  • When you apply for Cash Assistance, you can also apply for SNAP, medical assistance, and Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) at the same location.

How can I get help?

Updated February 21, 2020