Tax refund for workers and families

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) | NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

Cash & Expenses Caregiver

EITC can provide a tax refund of up to $8,682 (combined federal, state and City). The credit is meant for low- to moderate-income working individuals and couples, particularly those with children. You claim the credit when you file your taxes.

  • File your taxes by April 15, 2019
  • To qualify you must have earned income from working for someone or from running or owning a business or farm and meet basic rules
  • You’ll need to file your federal and New York State tax returns to claim EITC
  • If you qualify for the EITC, the City can help you file your taxes for free with NYC Free Tax prep
  • If you qualify, the government mails your refund or deposits it into your bank account
  • If you owe the government money, be aware that late filing penalties may apply for filing after April 15, 2019
  • Refunds for filers who claim EITC will not be distributed until February 15

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible for EITC, you should be able to answer yes to all of these questions:

  • Do you have a valid Social Security Number?
  • Will you file a tax return this year?
  • Did you earn less than $3,550 from investments?
  • If you don’t have any qualifying children, are you between 25 and 65 years old?

EITC also looks at your income from the previous year to determine if you are eligible. You can use ACCESS NYC to screen to see if you might be eligible.

What Will I Need to Apply?

To claim the credits, you will need to gather the following documents for all person listed on your tax return:

  • Identity and age: such as a photo ID, driver’s license, IDNYC, passport, naturalization certificate.
  • Your income (if any): Forms W-2, 1099s, or income and expense records if you are self-employed.
  • All records of expenses, including if you own or run a business or farm.
  • Social Security cards or Social Security number verification letter .
  • Copies of last year’s federal and state returns (if you have them)
  • Dependent care information: provider’s name, address, and ID number (EIN or SSN).
  • Proof of Health Insurance coverage for all family members. Forms 1095-A, B or C.

I'm Ready To Apply

How Can I Get Help?

Other Cash & Expenses Programs

Free tax prep for New Yorkers

NYC Free Tax Prep

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs

If you earn $66,000 or less, use NYC Free Tax Prep to file for free and keep your whole refund.

Tax relief for parents

Child Tax Credit (CTC)

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

Tax relief for parents who have qualifying children under the age of 17.

Tax relief for dependent care

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

NYC Department of Consumer Affairs / IRS

Tax relief for working people with dependent care expenses.