New York City students can join free afterschool programs that offer homework help, sports, arts, and more. Hundreds of programs are located all over the City.
- In COMPASS programs, young people get to participate in:
- literacy and Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematic (STEM) learning.
- activities that are hands-on, project-based, and aligned with educational standards.
- high quality arts and sports programming.
- Programs are typically three hours each day, five days per week, including on school holidays.
- Programs are offered in all five boroughs and in many neighborhoods.
Who is eligible
All NYC students in kindergarten to 12th grade are eligible to enroll in COMPASS programs.
Each program may have different age and eligibility requirements.
What you need to apply
To apply, you will need to provide one of the following proofs of identity for your child:
- Birth certificate
- Naturalization certificate
- Official birth records
- Official school records
- Adoption records
- Baptismal or another religious certificate
How to apply
Find a program online
Use Discover DYCD to search for programs in your area.
- Go to the Discover DYCD website.
- Select “afterschool programs” and click on “Search”.
To enroll your child in a COMPASS NYC program, contact the afterschool program staff at your child’s school.
How to get help
Learn more about COMPASS from DYCD.
Call DYCD Community Connect at 800-246-4646 or 646-343-6800. You can also speak to the afterschool program staff at your child’s school for more information.
Ask for “Comprehensive After School Program assistance.”